<
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Site Admin

Default What is the best and worst web hosting you have had until now?

I have started several other very popular threads on blogs and forums about this but I thought I would kick off this new forum with this topic here. I really love Servint and Liquidweb. I have had dedicated and vps servers with them for years and their service and reliability as well as their understanding of business websites make these two companies my first choice for dedicated and vps servers. Which are your favorite web hosting companies?

As far as bad ones I can remember Rackspace. I know a lot of people like them but they sent me a notice they were cancelling one of my servers within a few hours. The issue? I had a safelist hosted on one of them and they did not like this "idea." No complaints about the server from any customers. Just the concept bothered them. By the way I had the ok for this from them when I signed up for the server. They just changed their minds later. Bad business. I will never use them. Be consistent with your policies. They had no regard for my business. Minimum if you change your TOS give your customers a bit of notice and time to make adjustments. They did not.

What are your good and bad experiences with web hosting companies?

Remember please no affiliate links in the body of your post here. This is not the place to promote your web hosting affiliate programs. Thank you. Matt.

Senior Member Site Admin

Well, i've had 2 webhosts since 2000. I've been with gator for many years because they perfect for hosting blog's. I've narrowed down my blog to use less resources so i don't boggle down the server.

Hostdepartment was my first webhost when i created a forum long time ago. The forum was down at least once a week. This was a brand new forum with default vbulletin skin and basically no plugin's. My forum was not screwing with the shared server. The problem was there bad servers and bad technical support. When you run a forum, you expect it to be online 24 hours a day because your traffic is from all over the world in which many different time zones access your forum. After going back and forth with hostdepartment support crew, i just said... screw it, i'm going to hostgator.

No problems with gator for a long time. I sold the forum 4 years ago btw and been running a blog ever since. I got a keyword sports domain on the backburner still and if i create a website, i may have to move to the dedicated server's hostgator has if i don't sell this domain. I can't give any bad experiences with hostgator at all because i've had none. The live chat support is very good and like i said, gator is perfect for hosting blogs if you are using shared hosting. I've wrote a review or two about my hosting experiences on my blog but i won't post the link here. It has affiliate links. :P

With hostgator, if you use them for a forum and on shared hosting, there is a email limit for how many emails you can send out per hour. Keep this in mind if your forum has a lot of members when mass emailing. They will suspend your account for going over there limit. Of course if you start a forum, you really should start out on a VPS server then move up to a dedicated one once the traffic is getting crazy.

Junior Member Site Admin

I am hosting my site with "justhost" and so far they are quite reliable, don't have any bad experience so far.

Administrator Site Admin

It sounds more like growing pains. The next step for you might be a VPS server. You have to see if your traffic and resources justify the upgrade. Web hosts are much more likely to suspend accounts that are on shared hosting because you affect all the others on the same server. I would recommend going up to a VPS as soon as your budget permits.

Junior Member Site Admin

Default Maiahost a nightmare

When I first started to publish my websites, I avoided Go Daddy because the reviews in the internet said they are poor on technical support. However, after going from one webhost to another, I find that Go Daddy is the best. The worst must definitely go to Maiahost. They just locked me out without warning after 5 months when they found that I had used 50% of my hard disk and 5% of my bandwidth allocation. I had bought a multiple plan shared hosting that allowed me to host 5 websites but they told me that they had expected mini-websites of just 10-20 pages. But this was never mentioned in their advertisements. I then suggested that I disabled my biggest website but they would not listen. Upgrade to VDS immediately or get lost, these were the only 2 options they gave me. When I refused to be held to ransom, they just backup my 5 websites into one backup file and throw me out, challenging me to find a webhost that would accept me. Well, I took the challenge, went to Go Daddy and had the last laugh. See Digital Point Forum where Venetsian, Maiahot CEO, twisted and turned, trying to bluff his way through with one lie after another.

Administrator Site Admin

Thanks for sharing ekompute. Every time I look for new hosting I search the forums very carefully. A good web host can really give you peace of mind. A bad one can ruin one. It is a very important decision. The web hosting business is very competitive. Web hosts should really be on their best behaviour. Servint kind of forced me to upgrade but they did so in a manner very repectful of my business. I was just growing and using too many resources for what I had. It took about one month and everything was upgraded smoothly. Web hosts treat your customers like gold! They talk!

Junior Member Site Admin

My worst experience was with Just Host. They were okay for a couple of years but then they decided to suspend my account without warning and without a word to me. Apparently one of my sites was using more resources than they liked on a shared server. I can understand their need to protect resources on a shared server; no problem with that. What I didn't like was the way they went about it.

With my account suspended, I couldn't access any of my sites or the cPanel for my account. When I logged a ticket, the support team just offered an apology and re-instated my account. At this point I didn't know what the problem was. It was only after the second suspension that I got a message telling me what was up. I installed the WP-CACHE plugin and tidied up my account but after the third suspension I'd had enough.

Fortunately, I had another hosting account that comes with my membership of the Six Figure Mentors. That hosting is with My Express Site and is a much better deal. Each of my sites is now hosted on a separate top-level domain rather than being installed as add-on domains. It's by far the best hosting I've seen so far.

Junior Member Site Admin

I am thankful for such a great post with many new things to learn? Thanks, you cleared up some things for me.

Administrator Site Admin

A common complaint about some web hosts is suspending accounts without warning. This really creates bad customer relations and is not necessary. It shows bad management by the web host. They should have a way of dealing with use of resources without nuking accounts.

Junior Member Site Admin

Host Gator is my absolute favorite! When I started Internet Marketing four years ago, I didnt have the first clue about hosting, domain names, etc. I signed up with Host Gator and there were times where they walked me through my C-panel to do the simplest things. They are awesome! I haven;t had any issues, and they have been nothing but nice when I have asked for help. Highly recommend them.
    Susanna "Wannabe a Stay At Home Mom" Schnieder
    Join my free Article Directory-ArticleXplosion